Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences
905-525-9140 ext. 20242
My research interests are in the specific interactions between antibodies and their target antigens on platelets, leading to thrombocytopenia and/or thrombosis. Heparin induced thrombocytopenia and Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) are great models for identifying key factors involved in the pathogenesis of the immune responses leading to low platelet counts. Our research focuses on the cellular and humoral immunity and the downstream effects on platelet physiology. We use our research to identify the pathology from patient samples and create in-vitro models that could explain our findings and further our understanding of the issues at hand.
Our translational research capitalizes on technologies in the fields of immunology, biochemistry, and molecular biology to transfer basic science findings to the clinical practice for improved patient care. Our in-vitro human megakaryocytopoiesis/thrombopoiesis model serves as a benchmark for studying intrinsic and extrinsic factors that affect platelet production. The manipulation of various conditions in this in-vitro model provides avenues to study the pathologies associated with diseases such as ITP.
- Nazi, I., Arnold, D. M., Smith, J. W., Horsewood, P., Moore, J.C., Warkentin, T. E., Crowther, M.A., Kelton, J. G. FcgRIIa proteolysis as a diagnostic biomarker for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. J. Thromb. Haemost. Apr 2013.
- Ghadaki, B., Nazi, I., Kelton, J. G., Arnold, D. M. Sustained remissions of immune thrombocytopenia associated with the use of thrombopoietin receptor agonists. Transfusion. Mar 3, 2013.
- Arnold DM, Kukaswadia S, Nazi I, Esmail A, Dewar L, Smith JW, Warkentin TE, Kelton JG. A systematic evaluation of laboratory testing for drug-induced immune thrombocytopenia. J Thromb Haemost. 2013 Jan;11(1):169-76.
- Kelton JG, Warkentin TE, Moore JC, Arnold DM, Nazi I, Arepally GM, Roach JM, Fier I. A prospective study measuring the development of antibodies against platelet factor 4-heparin in healthy males after exposure to heparins. J Thromb Haemost. 2012 Jul;10(7):1446-9.
- Nazi, I, Smith, JW, Arnold, DM, Horsewood, P, Moore, JC, Warkentin, TE, and Kelton, JG. The association between platelet activation and FcγRIIa proteolysis. J. Thromb. Haemost. 9(4): 885-7 (2011).
- Toltl LJ, Nazi I, Jafari R, Arnold DM. Piecing together the humoral and cellular mechanisms of immune thrombocytopenia. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2011 Sep;37(6):631-9.
- Arnold, DM, Nazi, I, Santos, A, Chan, H, Heddle, NM, Warkentin, TE, and Kelton, JG. Combination immunosuppressant therapy for patients with chronic refractory immune thrombocytopenic purpura, Blood. 7;115(1):29-31. (2009).