PBSG-ED is dedicated to the enhancement of the educational skills of busy clinician teachers through the development of
paper modules which can be used by small groups of teachers
at times and settings of their convenience.
Each module provides continuing education that makes judicious
use of the most recent and best educational evidence available.
Starting from real-life examples of teaching/learning situations,
the modules have been designed using a case-based format to
promote discussion of challenging issues/dilemmas that are likely
to arise when working with learners. Their purpose is to foster
reflection and provide opportunities to refine skills-preparing the
way for selected changes that can improve learning.
These faculty development modules have proven
to be useful for
a variety of health science educators
(e.g. internal medicine,
surgery, OBGYN, nursing, rehab science).
ACCREDITATION: CME credits may be important to some
Please work with
your local Office of
Continuing Medical Education to obtain accreditation prior to the session.
PBSG-ED Module Topics:
- Medical Errors and Mistakes
- Teaching on the Fly - Time Efficient Teaching Strategies
- Learner in Difficulty - updated 2016
- Assessment of Learner Performance - updated 2017
- Preparing for New Learners – Planning and orientation
- International Medical Graduates- Orienting, Teaching and Connecting
- Working Together: Interprofessional Education and Collaboration among Health Professionals
- Developing Professionalism in our Learners: Critical
- Conflict Management: Strategies for the Preceptor
MODULES currently available in FRENCH:
- Stratégies d'enseignement chrono-efficaces – Enseigner sur le pouce
- Développer le professionnalisme chez les apprenants - Conversations déterminantes
MODULES currently available in SPANISH:
- Feedback. El feedback es un componente esencial en la ensenanza y del aprendizaji
- El Estudiante en Dificultad
HOW TO PURCHASE:
PBSG-Ed modules are ordered in packages:
1 package = 10 copies of the module ordered, plus
1 facilitator guide.
To order any of the above PBSG-ED modules, please print, complete and return this ORDER FORM.
Please allow sufficient time for orders to be received, prepared and sent.
For additional information, please contact:
PBSG-ED c/o Program for Faculty Development
McMaster University - DBHSC-5003G
1280 Main St. West
Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1
Working Together: Interprofessional Education and Collaboration among Health Professionals (Sample PBSG-ED module)
Medical Errors and Mistakes
- MacVicar, R, Guthrie, V, O'Rourke, J, Sneddon, A. Supporting educational supervisor development at the interface: evaluation of a pilot of PBSGL for faculty development. Educ Prim Care 2013 May; 24(3):178-84.
- Walsh AE, Armson H, Wakefield JG, Leadbetter W, Roder S. Using a Novel Small Group Approach to Enhance Feedback Skills for Community-based Teachers. Teaching and Learning in Medicine 2009;21(1):45-51.
- Armson A, Kinzie S, Hawes D, Roder S, Wakefield J, Elmslie T. Translating learning into practice: lessons from the practice-based small group learning program. Can Fam Physician 2007 Sept;53(9):1477-85.
Ontario's Provincial Faculty Development Initiative (PFDI)
This initiative was a collaboration among Ontario's six Schools of Medicine, the Council of Ontario Faculties of Medicine and the Ontario College of Family Physicians. Through this initiative (2011-2016), modules to support clinical teachers in Ontario's Family Medicine Residency Programs were funded by the Government of Ontario and the Physician Services Committee.