Investigations into the mechanisms of bone destruction and metastasis in primary bone tumours.
My research is focused on primary cell cultures of patient-derived specimens of Giant Cell Tumour of bone and the biologic behaviour of the cells in vitro with respect to bone matrix degradation, angiogenesis and metastasis.
These studies employ a variety of modern cell biology and molecular techniques including:
- Primary cell cultures
- Multiplex protein detection
- Western Blots and zymograms
- Chromatin immunoprecipitation and ChIP microarrays
- Invasion assays
- Matrix degradation assays
- Angiogenesis assays
- Small inhibitory RNA (siRNA)
Studies are done in collaboration with Dr. Gurmit Singh, who is director of research at the Juravinski Cancer Centre and Professor in the Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine..