BS (Yale), Ph.D. (Johns Hopkins)
Associate Professor, McMaster University
Department of Oncology
Canada Research Chair in Palliative Care and Health System Innovation
Canadian Institute of Health Research New Investigator Awardee
Past Cancer Care Ontario Research Chair in Health Services Research
Site Director, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES)
Associate Member, Department of Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics
Enter email below for mentorship availability checker, or leave empty to disable:
Hsien Seow has been appointed McMaster’s Cancer Care Ontario Health Services Research Chair in the Department of Oncology effective July 1, 2009. Dr. Seow earned a BS from Yale University in molecular, cellular, and developmental biology. He has a PhD in Health Policy and Management from the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, concentrating in health services research. His research interests involve improving quality and the healthcare service delivery of palliative care for cancer patients and other serious, chronic illnesses. Previously, he worked as a research assistant at RAND Health, with the Center for Palliative Care Studies. At RAND, he led health services research, local and national quality improvement collaborative and advocacy initiatives.
- Seow H, Dhaliwal G, Fassbender K, Rangrej J, Brazil K, Fainsinger R. The Effect of Community-Based Specialist Palliative Care Teams on Place of Care. J Palliat Med. 2016 Jan;19(1):16-21. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2015.0063. Epub 2015 Oct 21.
- Seow H, Barbera L, Pataky R, Lawson B, O'Leary E, Fassbender K, McGrail K, Burge F, Brouwers M, Sutradhar R. Does Increasing Home Care Nursing Reduce Emergency Department Visits at the End of Life? A Population-Based Cohort Study of Cancer Decedents. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015 Oct 26. pii: S0885-3924(15)00572-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2015.10.008. [Epub ahead of print]
- Seow H, Brazil K, Sussman J, Pereira J, Marshall D, Austin PC, Husain A, Rangrej J, Barbera L. Impact of community based, specialist palliative care teams on hospitalisations and emergency department visits late in life and hospital deaths: a pooled analysis. BMJ. 2014 Jun 6;348:g3496. doi: 10.1136/bmj.g3496.
- Seow H, Barbera L, Sutradhar R, Howell D, Dudgeon D, Atzema C, Liu Y, Husain A, Sussman J, Earle C. Trajectory of performance status and symptom scores for patients with cancer during the last six months of life. J Clin Oncol. 2011 Mar 20;29(9):1151-8. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2010.30.7173. Epub 2011 Feb 7.
- Seow H, Snyder CF, Shugarman LR, Mularski RA, Kutner JS, Lorenz KA, Wu AW, Dy SM. Developing quality indicators for cancer end-of-life care: proceedings from a national symposium. Cancer. 2009 Sep 1;115(17):3820-9. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24439.
Search for publications for Dr. Seow on PubMed