MD (McMaster), FRCP(C)
Vice President Oncology & Palliative Care
Hamilton Health Sciences
Regional Vice President, Cancer Care Ontario
Professor, Department of Oncology, McMaster University
Enter email below for mentorship availability checker, or leave empty to disable:
Dr. Ralph Meyer received his medical degree from McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario in 1978. He completed a rotating internship at Ottawa General Hospital and residency training in Internal Medicine (1982) and Hematology (1984) at McMaster University. He joined the Department of Medicine, McMaster University in 1984 where his academic interests included clinical trials and implications for health policy in the hematologic malignancies. Dr. Meyer was Professor in the Department of Medicine, Associate Member in the Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine and Division Director of Hematology (2000–2006) at McMaster University, and Head of Hematology–Oncology at the Juravinski Cancer Centre. He previously chaired the Hematology Site Committee of the NCIC Clinical Trials Group and the Hematology Disease Site Group, Cancer Care Ontario Practice Guidelines Initiative, and was a co-editor in the Malignant Hematology Group of the Cochrane Collaboration.
In April 2006, Dr. Meyer joined the NCIC Clinical Trials Group and in 2007 became the Group’s Director and Edith and Carla Eisenhauer Chair in Clinical Cancer Research, and was Professor in the Departments of Oncology, Medicine and Community Health and Epidemiology at Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario.
In August 2013, Dr. Meyer returned to Hamilton to take the role of President of the Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre and Regional Vice-President, Cancer Care Ontario for the Hamilton-Niagara-Haldimand-Brant Regional Cancer Program.
Dr. Meyer’s research interests include: General: Cancer clinical trials methodology, interpretation and transfer into policy; and, Specific: treatment of limited stage Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Meyer RM, Quirt IC, Skillings JR, Cripps MC, Bramwell VHC, Weinerman BH, Gospodarowicz MK, Burns BF, Sargeant AM, Shepherd LE, Zee B, Hryniuk WM. Escalated as compared with standard doses of doxorubicin in BACOP therapy for patients with non - Hodgkin's lymphoma. N Engl J Med 1993; 329: 1770 - 1776.
- Meyer RM, Gospodarowicz MK, Connors JM., Pearcey RG, Wells WA, Winter JN, Horning SJ, Dar AR, Shustik C, Stewart DA, Crump M, Djurfeldt MS., Chen BE, Shepherd LE. ABVD Alone versus Radiation-Based Therapy in Limited Stage Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. N Engl J Med 2012; 366: 399-408.
- Meyer RM, Hoppe RT. Point/Counterpoint: Early Stage Hodgkin Lymphoma: The Role of Radiation Therapy. Blood 2012; 120: 4488-4495.
- Djulbegovic B, Kumar A, Miladinovic B, Reljic T, Galeb S, Mhaskar A, Mhaskar R, Hozo I, Tu D, Stanton HA, Booth CM, Meyer RM. Treatment Success in Cancer: Industry Compared to Publicly Sponsored Randomized Controlled Trials. PLoS ONE 2013; 8: e58711 (1-15).
- Meyer RM. The Surrogacy of Financial Conflicts of Interest. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31: 2645 – 2647.
Search for publications for Dr. Meyer on PubMed