Dr. Hsien Seow is the Canada Rsearch Chair in Palliative Care and Health System Innovation, the Canadian Institute of Health Research New Investigator Awardee, Past Cancer Care Ontario Research Chair in Health Services Research, and the McMaster Site Director of the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES), and with the Escarpment Cancer Research Institute (ECRI) as his academic home, he is able to share his passion for health system innovation. “Innovation happens at the intersection of disciplines,” he says. “At [the Health Services Research Team], we have a dynamic and diverse group of experts from many specialties. Together, we’ll answer important questions that will initiate real change in the health care system and change the way care is delivered”. In addition, he is the Canadian Institute of Health Research New Investigator Awardee.
Prior to his position with the HSR-KT and the ECRI, Dr. Seow worked with RAND Health in Washington DC, where he led health policy research, quality improvement, and health advocacy initiatives. He completed his doctorate at John Hopkins School of Public Health in health policy and management, with a concentration in health services research and a certificate in gerontology. His research interests consist of health system innovation, and examining ways to better organize and deliver palliative care services and improve quality of care. He hopes his research will positively impact the policies, practices, and patient care in Canada; ultimately he hopes to help build a sustainable, reliable, and high-quality health care system that serves us all well and can handle the demands of the growing aging population.
- Bina Mistry, MSc
- Ahmad von Schlegell, PhD
- Brian Hong, BSc
- Ummu Almaawiy, MSc
HRM 721: Fundamentals of Health Research and Evaluation
- Seow H, Whelan P, Levine M, Cowan K, Lysakowski B, Kowaleski B, Snider A, Xu R, Arnold A. Funding Oncology Clinical Trials: Are Cooperative Group Trials Sustainable? Journal of Clinical Oncology. March 26, 2012.
- Seow H, Barbera L, Sutradhar R, Howell D, Dudgeon D, Atzema C, Liu Y, Husain A, Sussman J, Earle C. Trajectory of performance status and symptom scores in cancer patients’ last six months of life. Journal of Clinical Oncology, Feb 7, 2011.
- Seow H, Barbera L, Howell D, and Dy SM. Using more end-of-life homecare services is associated with using fewer acute care services: A population based cohort study. Med Care, 48(2):118-124. 2010.
- Seow H, Snyder CF, Shugarman LR, Mularski RA, Kutner JS, Lorenz KA, Wu AW, Dy SM. Developing Quality Indicators for Cancer End-of-Life Care: Proceedings from a National Symposium. Cancer. 2009 Sep 1;115(17):3820-9.
- Seow H, Phillips CO, Rich MW, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM, Lynn J. Isolation of Health Services from Practice and Policy: The Example of Chronic Heart Failure Disease Management. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2006 Mar; 54(3): 535-40.