BSc. (Guelph), MSc. (Guelph), MSc (McMaster), MD (Western)
Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics
Associate Member, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Canadian Critical Care Trials Group (CCCTG)
Pediatric Emergency Research Canada (PERC)
Accademy (Academy of Critical Care, Design, Evaluation, and Methodology)
Canadian Child Health Clinician Scientist Program (CCHCSP)
Staff Physician, Pediatric Critical Care and Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Canadian Blood Services/Canadian Institutes of Health Research New Investigator Award (2014-2019)
Canadian Child Health Clinician Scientist Program Career Enhancement Program Award (2014-2019)
Hamilton Health Sciences Research Early Career Award (2013, 2014)
Young Investigator Award, American Heart Association Resuscitation Science Symposium (2012, 2013)
Awards to Students:
Young Investigator Award, American Heart Association Resuscitation Science Symposium (2014)
Canadian Institutes of Health Research Health Professional Student Award (2013, 2014)
First Prize, National Pediatric Resident and Fellows Research Competition (2013)
Physicians Services Incorporated Foundation Resident Research Prize (2013)
Research Medical Associates Research Scholarship (2013)
Dr. Parker completed postgraduate clinical training at the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, after obtaining her MD from Western. She is Board Certified in Pediatrics, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, and Pediatric Critical Care Medicine and she holds a MSc in Health Research Methodology from McMaster. Dr. Parker’s clinical and research interests focus on pediatric acute care including resuscitation interventions and algorithms, resuscitation quality improvement, and the ethical conduct of resuscitation research. Her research program is supported with funding from Canadian Blood Services, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the Canadian Child Health Clinician Scientist Program, and Hamilton Health Sciences.
Selected Publications (supervised students underlined)
- Burns K, Rizvi L, Smith O, Lee Y, Lee J, Wang M, Brown M, Parker M, Premji A, Leung D, Hammond Mobilo M, Gotlib-Conn L, Nisenbaum R, Santos M, Li Y, Mehta S. Is there a role for physician involvement in introducing research to surrogate decision makers in the intensive care unit? (The Approach trial: a pilot mixed methods study) Intensive Care Medicine 2015;41(1): 58-67.
- Parker MJ, Lee FMH, Mbuagbaw L, Thabane L. Evaluating the Test Re-test Reliability and Inter-subject Variability of Health Care Provider Manual Fluid Resuscitation Performance. BMC Research Notes 2014; 7: 724.
- Cole ET, Harvey G, Urbanski S, Foster G, Thabane L, Parker MJ. Rapid paediatric fluid resuscitation: a randomised controlled trial comparing the efficiency of two provider-endorsed Manual paediatric fluid resuscitation techniques in a simulated setting. BMJ Open 2014; 4:e005028.
- Harvey G, Foster G, Manan A, Thabane L, Parker MJ. Factors affecting pediatric isotonic fluid resuscitation efficiency: a randomized controlled trial evaluating the impact of syringe size. BMC Emergency Medicine 2013;13:14.
- Parker M, Parshuarm C. Sodium bicarbonate use in shock and cardiac arrest: attitudes of pediatric acute care physicians. Critical Care Medicine 2013;41(9):2188-2195.
- Cole ET, Harvey G, Foster G, Thabane L, Parker MJ. Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial comparing the efficiency of two provider-endorsed manual pediatric fluid resuscitation techniques. BMJ Open 2013;3:e002754.
- Parker MJ, Manan A. Translating resuscitation guidelines into practice: health care provider attitudes, preferences and beliefs regarding pediatric fluid resuscitation performance. PLOS ONE 2013;8(3):e58282.
- Parker MJ, Manan A, Urbanski S. Prospective evaluation of use of a tablet device to enhance survey study participant response rate. BMC Research Notes 2012;5:605. (3)
- Parker MJ, Manan A, Duffett M. Rapid, Easy and Cheap Randomization: Prospective Evaluation in a Study Cohort. Trials 2012;13:90
- Parker MJ. Use of a Tablet to Enhance Standardisation Procedures in a Randomised Trial. Journal of Mobile Medical Technology in Medicine. 2012; 1(1):24-26.
- Parker MJ, Allen U, Lalani A, Derek S, Schuh S. Predictors of major intervention in infants with bronchiolitis. Pediatric Pulmonology. 2009;44(4):358-63.
Search for citations for Dr. Parker on PubMed
P:905-521-2100 x 76651
Faculty of Health Sciences
1280 Main Street West, HSC 3E-20
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada