BA (McMaster), MD (McMaster), MSc (McMaster), FRCPC
Dr. Szatmari's investigative interests fall broadly into
areas of psychiatric and genetic epidemiology, specifically: 1)
preschool children with autism and other forms of pervasive
developmental disorders (development of these children and factors
associated with good outcome); 2) genetic etiology of autism (studying
families with two autistic children and doing a linkage study to map
susceptibility genes). Another area of interest is the developmental
course of adolescent psychopathology and high risk behaviours, including
substance abuse, with the particular area of concern being to address
measurement issues and sampling by family unit rather than by
- Szatmari P, Reitzel J-A. Autism intervention: comments on Harris
and Bruinsma, Koegel and Kern Koegel. In Encylopedia on Early Childhood
Development. Centre of Excellence for Early Childhood Development. 2004
- Brian JA, Landry R, Szatmari P, Bryson SE. Habituation in
high-risk infants: reliability and patterns of responding. Infant and
Child Development, 12:387-394, 2003.
- Szatmari P, Zwaigenbaum L and Bryson S. Conducting Genetic
Epidemiology Studies of Autism Spectrum Disorders: Issues in matching.
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 34(1):49-57, 2004.
- Walker DR, Thompson A, Zwaigenbaum L, Goldberg J, Bryson SE,
Mahoney WJ, Strawbridge CP, Szatmari P. Specifying PDD-NOS: A comparison
of PDD-NOS, Asperger Syndrome and Autism. Journal of American Academy
of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 43:2, 172-80, 2004.
- Xu J, Zwaigenbaum L, Szatmari P, Scherer S. Molecular Cytogenetics of Autism. Current Genomics, 5:347-364, 2004.
- Jones MB , Palmour R, Zwaigenbaum L and Szatmari P. Modifier
effects in autism at the DBH and MAO-A loci. American Journal of Medical
Genetics (Neuropsychiatric Genetics), 126B, 58-65, 2004.
- Szatmari P, Bryson SE, Boyle MH and Duku E. Predictors of
outcome among high functioning children with autism and Asperger
Syndrome. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 44(4):520-528,
- Starr E, Szatmari P, Bryson S and Zwaigenbaum L. Stability and
change among high functioning children with pervasive developmental
disorders: A two-year outcome study . Journal of Autism and
Developmental Disorders, 33:15-22, 2003.
- Szatmari P. The causes of autism spectrum disorders (ASD). British Journal of Psychiatry, 326:173-174, 2003.
- Nicholson R and Szatmari P. Genetic and neurodevelopmental
influences in autistic disorder. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry,