Psychological Services provide clinical services, academic research, psychometric research and documentary projects in the areas of clinical, personality, cognitive, educational, evolutionary and mathematical psychology.
Clinical psychological services:
Anyone can talk to you about your problems, but it takes specific experience to help you with them. Being licensed from the College of Psychologists ensures that psychologists have completed special training in psychological assessment and treatment and that they continue in lifelong learning to maintain and enhance these skills for your benefit.
Our Clinical Psychologist has practices in the field of psychological assessment and treatment for over 30 years, including practice in Canada for 20 years. She is also a published researcher in the field of psychological assessment, using her in-depth knowledge of psychometrics. Moreover, our psychological practice has a practicing psychiatrist on staff (with 30 years of practice), consulting to us on medical/pharmacological questions. In treatment we apply a diverse set of techniques from CBT to psychoanalysis.
We have an academic expertise in differential psychology and a number of peer-review publications (see the web-sites of our staff), which is rare for clinicians. This means that we like to dig deep into understanding what we are doing. We serve in offices in 4 locations. For established clients we also allow skype/telephone psychotherapy/counselling.
You can always find people in Toronto willing to give you an advice for money, but if you want a second and professional opinion then call us. We practice in Downtown Toronto, Hamilton (McMaster University area) and Dunnville hospital. Each of our offices are open only once a week, so you can't just stop-by to discuss your issues, you will need an appointment.
We all have times when we need someone to listen to us non judgmentally, and help us find our own answers. Whether it is
- yes, you could struggle with it by yourself, but we can help you to win this struggle.
There are some conditions, however, that people can not overcome without the professional help of a licensed and experienced psychologist - such as:
If you or someone you care about suffer from any of these problems remember, that relief is possible and help is available. Psychological Services has a licensed psychologist and psychiatrist with 30 years of experience in assessment and treatment of these problems.
Life is too short to spend it unhappily. We can help you overcome problems like these:
Couple and family therapy sessions are 2 hours long. Please note that psychological services are not covered by OHIP.
Psychological services are not covered by OHIP, but you might want to check your insurance policy, as it might cover psychological counseling. Please note that most auto insurance policies do cover your psychological assessment and a short treatment if your psychological problems started after a motor vehicle accident. Employment insurance often covers psychological services as well.
Individual therapy and Psychological assessment rates are $140 per hour (for non-Toronto appointments) and 200$/hr (Toronto appointments), taxes included. Family and couple therapy rates are $160/hr (240$ for Toronto). We are sorry to announce that we stopped our discount program except those clients who were already enrolled in it.
The clinical hour is typically 50 minutes allowing 10 minutes from each hour for after-session notes and other services.
Intake forms and a short preliminary testing takes about one hour of your time during your first visit. You might opt for completing these forms prior to the visit: it will save you time and money.
Each individual therapy session is 1-1.5 hours, family or couple therapy session is 1.5-2 hours.
If you would like an Assessment Report, please keep in mind that it takes minimum of 10 hours of total service, as it requires both extended testing (3-6 hours), initial interview(s) (2-3 hours) and feedback interview (1.5 hour).
You are asked to give 24 hours notice when you cancel an appointment. Late cancellation fee $25 applies for “no show” or for a cancellation less than 24 hours prior the start of the service. If services are paid by a third party, the cost of a missed appointment will be billed to them. However, many third parties including the WSIB and most insurance companies do not reimburse for missed therapy appointments. In that event, you will be billed directly.
The exact location and driving directions are disclosed only to the clients of the Psychological Services. It helps us to keep your visits confidential.
When you come to Psychological Services for assessment and individual therapy treatment this is what you can expect:
1. One of our mental health professionals will meet you to discuss your situation. You will be asked to complete some forms and questionnaires, which might take an extra hour.
2. All sessions are confidential and private. It means we shall make all efforts to avoid your being seeing by other people and letting other people know that you use our services.
3. We will assess your situation and outline a recommended treatment plan.
4. Our treatment recommendations may include between 6 and 18 sessions of individual, couple, and/or family counseling.
5. If you decide to proceed with treatment, we will schedule a block of sessions and get started right away.
When your organization purchases psychological services for managers or employees, this is what you can expect:
1. One of our mental health professionals will contact you to discuss your order and arrangements for the services.
2. In the case of group therapy conducted within the organization a preliminary visit to the site by our psychologist should be arranged at least a week before the therapy starts.
3. People participating in the non-educational services will be asked to complete some forms and questionnaires, which might take extra time.
4. No smoking, drinking or music should be allowed on the site during any of psychological services.
5. Family and couple therapy sessions usually take 2 hours. Individual therapy sessions take 1-1.5 hours.
Mailing: 92 Bowman St., Hamilton, ON. L8S 2T6
Phone N: 905-527-0129, 905-772-7218; Fax: 1-866-410-6766
Dr. Irina Trofimova, B.Sc., Ph.D., C.Psych. - Psychologist
Dr. William Sulis, B.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., M.D., FRCPC. - Psychiatrist
Ms. Julie Christiansen, B.Sc, M.A. - Counselor, specialist in anger management
Ms. Beverley Gordon, B.Sc., M.S.W. (R.S.W.) - Social Worker
Ms. Natalia Gregory, B.Sc. - Child Disability Worker and Data operator
Ms. Esther Jones - Receptionist
Big and sincere thanks to our volunteers Ms. Saloumeh Madani, Ms. Rupasri Chowdur, Mr. Anson Poon, and to our students!!!
P.S. - and don’t forget Psychological Services